*The Pointless Writer*

has a life you're completely uninterested in. But it's okay because I can write. No abbreviations. No shoddy grammar (though I'm not immune to mistakes). Just quality writing on sometimes completely pointless topics.

Inspiration/ Hilarity

`cirque. (by Nick)
The Joel Stein
Hyperbole and a Half (by Allie Brosh)

Pointless Yakking

No chatbox.


UnPoints of Note

1. I write when fancy takes. Sometimes, fancy takes many months of leave.
2. Never give up on this blog. I will eventually come back. When fancy has returned from its unfaithful travels.
3. All posts labelled Randomosity were written while I was on my junior college's blog team.
4. Everything is written as a challenge to myself. And it's all in good fun. Cheerio!


Real Steel
Friday, October 7, 2011

Real Steel is the kind of movie that, at first glance, you decide to watch because it has the incredibly talented and ruggedly handsome Hugh Jackman starring in it. (In my opinion, at least.) I’ve always wanted to use the phrase “ruggedly handsome”. By ‘first glance’, I really mean a short glimpse of the movie poster at one of those bus stop sign thingies (they seem a little small to be called billboards) as the bus pulls out rapidly in an attempt to prevent me from seeing half the poster. So I guess ‘first glance’ really translates into “a short glimpse of HALF the movie poster”. I’ve never even seen the trailer, but I scurried to the cinema on the first day Real Steel was screened.

I was actually looking for a brainless action flick. After all, I can only study for so long. I guess my thoughts went like something like that: buff, beefy, ruggedly handsome guy starring --> Hugh Jackman = Wolverine = action --> robots in the poster --> transformers-style movie with lots of action and no brain needed

Now, I totally understand that this was discounting Jackman’s acting ability. I remembered Jackman’s awesome fight moves as Wolverine and was instantly like I’M WATCHING THIS! And my train of thought kinda ended there, as you can see from the arrows above. Of course, I’d neglected to remember that Wolverine’s quite the tortured soul and can’t be acted by just any beefy guy. But I’m not about to fangirl Jackman’s praises. This post is about the movie. (AND I’m not a fan girl.)

So anyway, it turns out Real Steel is a family movie about a dad and his son and their crazy robot boxing obsession. And it’s produced/ made/ presented by Disney. (Don’t make me choose any particular word; all I know is I saw Disney’s name at the end of the credits.) To quote my mum: “It’s a beautiful story about the redemption of a father by his son.”

There IS a larger focus on the kid forgiving his father than many of these feel-good family movies usually have. In many of the family shows I’ve seen, the kids are little devils, acting out to gain the attention of their absent parent(s), who then make amends, after which the kids turn into humans. Real Steel, on the other hand, revolves around a precocious and mature 11-year-old boy who is shown to challenge his father directly to get what he wants (none of those egg-throwing, mansion-destroying antics for this kid). Yet, at the same time, the kid shows his age in the way he innocently treats the robot that “saves” him as a friend and human being, touching your heart and creating warm, fuzzy feelings as you watch. In addition, it doesn’t hurt that Dakota Goyo (who acts as the boy, Max) is one hell of an actor, sliding smoothly from tough and full of attitude to young and vulnerable, or even a mixture of both. Plus, he’s definitely perfected Puss in Boot’s wide-eyed look, if he isn’t even better at it. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, watch the episode of Shrek that has Puss in Boots.)

The main thing that has me fangirling the movie is the soundtrack. Whoever did the music did an AMAZING job. Of course, I might be a little biased since I love the heavy beats that dominate the movie music. (Rock? Hip hop? I can’t really name the genres.) But, objectively speaking, I know for sure that the music was well timed, emphasizing the right moments. For instance, when the kid (Goyo) pummels his father (Jackman) angrily, there is complete silence. No soft thumping of fists. No attempt at funny music. No words. You know the saying “A picture says a thousand words”? Add the word ‘moving’ to ‘picture’ and those are my exact sentiments.

Meanwhile, the animation and choreography are pretty great too. I’m not very good at tracking fast movements on-screen (or in real life) and I know next to nothing about animation, so I’m in no place to pass an informed judgment. But I, personally, love the robot (Atom, in case you’re wondering which one), and it’s particularly adorable when it swaggers into its first match. The only bit of choreography I could really catch was when Charlie, the dad, mimed boxing moves for Atom to mimic in the last boxing match. It was in slow-motion.

The movie’s remaining bonus point? It has a lot of funny moments. Who doesn’t like laughing?

So, if you like heartwarming family shows (I watched this with mine by the way), laughing, robots, Hugh Jackman and cute eyes rivaling Puss in Boots’, watch this movie. If you want to squeeze out maximum action, watch in on big-screen.

Labels: ,


Chanson des Étoiles at 6:07 PM