*The Pointless Writer*

has a life you're completely uninterested in. But it's okay because I can write. No abbreviations. No shoddy grammar (though I'm not immune to mistakes). Just quality writing on sometimes completely pointless topics.

Inspiration/ Hilarity

`cirque. (by Nick)
The Joel Stein
Hyperbole and a Half (by Allie Brosh)

Pointless Yakking

No chatbox.


UnPoints of Note

1. I write when fancy takes. Sometimes, fancy takes many months of leave.
2. Never give up on this blog. I will eventually come back. When fancy has returned from its unfaithful travels.
3. All posts labelled Randomosity were written while I was on my junior college's blog team.
4. Everything is written as a challenge to myself. And it's all in good fun. Cheerio!


Samantha Smith
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Just this morning, as my dad was driving me to school, we were listening to BBC Radio. You should try it sometime; come of its programs are fascinating (not to mention, it’ll help you for GP). And that’s when I heard about the US’ youngest ambassador to Russia.

So, who’s this 10-year-old kid who took it upon herself to be ambassador anyway? Samantha Smith, born in 1972, was a 10-year-old US citizen who was gusty enough to write a letter to the leader of the Soviet Union, Yuri Andropov.

Dear Mr. Andropov,

My name is Samantha Smith. I am ten years old. Congratulations on your new job. I have been worrying about Russia and the United States getting into a nuclear war. Are you going to vote to have a war or not? If you aren't please tell me how you are going to help to not have a war. This question you do not have to answer, but I would like to know why you want to conquer the world or at least our country. God made the world for us to live together in peace and not to fight.

Sincerely,

"Samantha Smith"

Isn’t that heart-warming? I was astounded. A kid who paid this much attention to politics must have been very intelligent indeed! Yuri Andropov later replied to Samantha’s letter, and invited her to visit Russia, which she promptly did. She gamboled with the Soviet Union children during a summer camp in Russia and learnt Russian songs as well as taught American ones.

Through her, the Russians discovered what Americans thought of them, and vice versa. Some of the stereotypes were really hilarious. For instance, American women thought that Russian women did not shave their legs. Doesn’t that sound like regular gossip? I wish I could recall more, but the broadcast was many hours ago. BBC does broadcast the same show multiple times though, and I hope you manage to hear about Samantha one of these days.

One of the interviewees was fondly recalling her experience caring for Samantha while in Russia. She chuckled as she recounted that Samantha had been fascinated by the white ribbons in the Russian girls’ hair, herself wearing hairclips, and when the Russian interviewee had informed the Russian girls, they proceeded to present the sprightly American girl with 100 odd ribbons!

Of course, the media swarmed after Samantha, a child political celebrity of sorts, clamouring for interviews and information. She spoke in schools and even wrote a book entitled “Journey to the Soviet Union”. There were skeptics who entertained the notion that Samantha was unwittingly being used as an instrument of propaganda. However, I believe her childish innocence enabled her to see the good in Russia that was glaring adults who had been worn out by the world in the eye.

Sadly, Samantha died at the young age of 13 during a plane trip with her father. Countless people in both the US and Russia mourned the death of this extraordinary girl who had changed their views and possibly improved the two nations diplomatic relations. I think the US lost a great leader that day.

Labels: ,


Chanson des Étoiles at 1:12 PM