*The Pointless Writer*

has a life you're completely uninterested in. But it's okay because I can write. No abbreviations. No shoddy grammar (though I'm not immune to mistakes). Just quality writing on sometimes completely pointless topics.

Inspiration/ Hilarity

`cirque. (by Nick)
The Joel Stein
Hyperbole and a Half (by Allie Brosh)

Pointless Yakking

No chatbox.


UnPoints of Note

1. I write when fancy takes. Sometimes, fancy takes many months of leave.
2. Never give up on this blog. I will eventually come back. When fancy has returned from its unfaithful travels.
3. All posts labelled Randomosity were written while I was on my junior college's blog team.
4. Everything is written as a challenge to myself. And it's all in good fun. Cheerio!


Naked.
Monday, March 21, 2011

When I was younger, I read storybooks solely for their stories. Authors’ notes were one of my pet peeves, but I have, of late, taken an interest in them. It started with me reading “Gold” by Issac Asimov, one of the world’s greatest, and most unfortunately, deceased, science fiction writers. “Gold” is partially an autobiography and partially a guide to writing. At the time, I picked the book up only for the writing tips, of course. But reading this half-autobiography proved to be a wondrous ride through my revered author’s mind. His autobiography revealed his unique sense of humour and wit, forcing me to take a look at the authors themselves, whose work I enjoyed, for the first time in my life. From then on, I started skimming through all of Asimov’s author notes.

In recent years, it is not only Asimov’s author’s notes that I read. I skim through others as well, to get a glimpse of the author’s own personality before I embark on the wondrous journey through another life. This has, in turn, led me to think about the author while reading the story itself. What is the author telling me? What does the author believe? How much of the first-person narrator represents the author? And so on.

The point I wish to make in this post is that writing can be one of the most revealing activities. As a preteen, writing was a refuge for me. A way to escape the world I loathed, and nothing more. But I now realize that writing strips each of us naked, reveals all the ugly and beautiful sides of ourselves for the world to see, if only the world takes a closer look

The most immature writer displays his/her own dominant personality directly as one of the main characters of the story. I first came to this conclusion when I read my own work two years after writing it. The heroine of the story had me written all over her. Every other character contained some of my own immaturity, leaving much to be desired for the story. After all, if every character steals some of the writer’s dominant personality, they all become one and the same.

Note my use of the word dominant personality. Why do I use it? I believe that every character must be based on some part of the writer, no matter how small. An author who writes crime stories, in having the ability to dream up the intricacies of crime, must have some capacity to commit the crime. When a good writer invents different characters, each character represents a different part of the writer. Of course, unless the writer has split-personality disorder, it is impossible for each personality to be entirely based on the writer, thus he/she develops the characters after observing others as well. But I believe that a part of the writer goes into each beloved character.

Writing unmasks who you are, who you want to be, and who you think people want you to be. And this applies to more than writing fiction.

Labels:


Chanson des Étoiles at 11:45 AM